Saturday, October 1, 2011

Victoria Justice & My New Jam

One of the best things about my recent stint at Idolator was gaining a whole new appreciation for B-Grade teen queens like Victoria Justice and Jasmine V. The former starlet, in particular, won a place in my heart when she posted an acoustic version of Jessie J's "Price Tag" on Facebook to show off her vocal chops but only proved that she couldn't hold a tune in a bucket. Needless to say, I snapped up the soundtrack to her hit Nickelodeon TV show on the day of release but didn't get around to listening to it until recently. What a mistake! "Victorious" is a surprisingly good pop album, the highlight of which is the 18-year-old's stunning #58 US smash "Beggin' On Your Knees".

Written and produced by Swedish super-producer Shellback, this unexpectedly bitter fuck-you anthem is my new jam. I'm not sure how Victoria snagged the man behind Adam Lambert's "Whataya Want From Me", Avril's "What The Hell" and Britney's "I Wanna Go" but more power to her. The track borrows heavily from those hits and, if you pay attention to the lyrics, is highly inappropriate for a kids TV show but that's part of its charm. Vicky's husky man voice is perfectly suited to angry Kelly Clarkson-lite pop/rock and her tragic dance moves in the video (below) give me life. I can't wait to hear what this flawless pop icon does next!

No comments:

Post a Comment