Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Get Outta My Way - Video Review

Once again, sorry for the delay between posts. Usually I'm just too drunk to type over the weekend but my computer crashed and I've been without the net since Friday. I guess that's what happens when you put 200+ Gigs of music on a shitty laptop! Anyway, I'll try to make up for it by being prolific this week. And the first cab off the rank is Kylie's "Get Outta My Way" video clip. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what to think. The teaser clip looked amazing but the finished product lacks something. Like a point. Don't get me wrong - I love the pretty lights, like most of the costumes and appreciate Kylie's stunning homage to Olivia Newton-John but I can't help but feel that such a cute, throwaway (in the best sense of the word) pop song needed something a little more fun and a lot less stylised. You know, I'm thinking Kylie working the dancefloor of her local RSL club on senior citizens' night. Picture her grinding on some toothless grandpa while her bored Spanish toy boy trawls for trade on Grindr. Let's keep it realistic, people! Sadly, that masterpiece will never eventuate so we're stuck with this. Here is my scene by scene commentary:

0:00 - 0:25 mins Pretty lights, gays on chairs and a lump of mutton dressed as lamb on the dancefloor. So far, so good.

0:25 - 0:50 mins Scary. Kylie's face hasn't looked this tight since "Red Blooded Woman". Happily, the choreography kicks in and I want a pair of Minogue senior's glowing gloves.

0:50 - 1:25 mins Min spins around on giant glowing Etch-A-Sketch. Amazing!

1:25 - 2:00 mins The America's Got Talent 'chair dance' routine. For once Madonna actually did do this first on her Blonde Ambition tour - consider it revenge for stealing the cover of "American Life" from
Kylie's Che Guevara poster! The highlight of this segment is the beautiful gold corset and flattering hairstyle. Kylie looks almost as sexy as Dannii without make-up when she walks out of the shower in the morning, translucent with the glow of motherhood.

2:00 - 2:10 mins I'm not feeling that red monstrosity at all.

2:10 - 2:30 mins My favourite part of the clip! The impossible princess standing on a pontoon is a clear nod to Olivia Newton-John's heavenly
"Twist Of Fate" video. When are these two legends going to join forces and record a completely age inappropriate duet?

2:30 - 2:50 mins A futuristic Mayan tranny being offered for sacrifice? No?

2:50 - 3:05 mins Nice editing.

3:05 - 3:30 mins Dance routine on pontoon + water splash = bonus points.

3:30 - 3:40 mins Can someone make me a Gif of the last 5 seconds? I want Kylie twirling around on that twinkly dancefloor as my new avatar on a certain fan forum that I'm supposed to be banned from!

Yeah, so it's ok. But I still think my idea is better!

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment