Sunday, August 8, 2010

Wasted Singles - Vol. 1

I guess the title of this post speaks for itself. How often do you hear a song and think why wasn't that a released as a single? If you're anything like me, the answer is all the time! In order to vent my frustration I thought I'd start collating some my favourite hits that never were from the past couple of years. Record companies usually get it right but occasionally I'm left scratching my head, wondering what the fuck happened. Kylie fans, in particular, know this pain all too well. I'm still bitter that her urban masterpiece "One Boy Girl" never received its moment in the sun! Anyway, my first selection will probably come as a bit of a surprise. It's no secret that Britney's enduring popularity is a complete mystery to me. She can't sing, has less charisma than a cardboard box and dresses like a single mother from Bankstown. Even Cassie Davis has more going for her! So it's one of life's great ironies then that my favourite person in the entire world stans for Britney. As a result, I've been exposed to dangerously high levels of Brit Brit and even learned to endure appreciate some of her music. I doubt the former Mouseketeer will ever top the brilliance of 1999's "Born To Make You Happy" but one track on her last album comes very close.

Baby, you're so unusual
Didn't anyone tell you you're supposed to
Break my heart, I expect you to
So why haven't you?


"Unusual You" is easily the best song on "Circus" (for the record "Kill The Lights" comes a distant second). Without that track the album would be a pointless re-hash of "Blackout" - only with deep and meaningful modern poetry like "If U Seek Amy" and "Lace And Leather". Oh and let's not forget the inspirational feminist anthem "Mmm Papi". In all fairness, none of my favourite divas are known for their hard hitting social commentary or insight into the human condition but "Circus" is a curiously soulless affair. I guess that's why "Unusual You" stands out like LeToya Luckett at a Beyoncé concert. It has heart. Songs about relationships generally fall into two categories - spiteful/empowering/depressing/uplifting (choose your own adjective) break up anthems or sugary sweet ballads that make you want to vomit. "Unusual You" strikes an interesting middle ground. The lyrics come from a rather bleak and world weary place but there's a guarded optimism that I find touching. There's something inherently relatable and real about the hopes and doubts expressed in the song - a rare accomplishment indeed. I particularly like Bloodshy & Avant's production. It's so dark and detailed. There are rumours that "Unusual You" started life as Miike Snow's "In Search Of" and while there are similarities, I'm glad Bloodshy & Avant decided to keep that for themselves. The world isn't ready for indie-electro Britney just yet! So why was the track overlooked in favour of shit like "If U Seek Amy" and that idiotic re-release of "Radar"? My guess is a mix of stupidity and contractual obligations. "Unusual You" was briefly promoted to radio in Australia as the fifth single from "Circus" but was pulled at the last minute to make way for "3". It's a shame because "Unusual You" shows a different side of Britney. A side that I think I could grow to like.

No comments:

Post a Comment